Monday, February 8, 2016

Too much of a good thing is....a wonderful thing!

Lots of exciting things happened this week, I don't even know where to start!

I guess first is Bernard. He passed his baptismal interview on Saturday so he will be getting baptized on the 13th! I am so excited for him!! He is amazing! He is 9, so his understanding is very simple and pure, which is always a good reminder for me of how simple the gospel really is. His definition of repentance is "to copy", which means copying Jesus. Which is very insightful and made me realize that, yes, that is what repentance truly is. He finished the whole Book of Mormon....and immediately started reading it again. I was not that diligent when I was 9. So this week we will be putting his baptism together and making sure everything gets taken care of. What a great way to celebrate Valentine's Day, by helping someone to make convenants with the Heavenly Father who loves them more than anyone on Earth. 

Eric, our French investigator, is slowly starting to understand the importance of what we are teaching. We taught him about the priesthood this past week and the blessings it can bring to his family. He knows that what we teach is good and from God, he is still working on piecing everything together and understanding that we are the only church that has the same power and authority that Christ had, so priesthood was a perfect lesson for him. His family is really important to him and he works really hard to provide for them and to teach them about God. It was a great experience to talk about how the priesthood has blessed our lives and specifically our families. I realized that when I think about Dad, the first things that come to mind aren't his job or the house we live in, but it is what he has taught me and the priesthood blessings he has given me. I am so grateful for the priesthood and the men who are worthy to hold it. 

We have an investigator named Bada who we were thinking about dropping. She has been meeting with the missionaries since about October and hasn't ever read the Book of Mormon. She kept saying she would but when we came back she hadn't read. She finally read this week!! Since she is really busy (she is getting her PhD in nursing at Duke) she was only able to read the introduction and the testimonies, but that was enough. She said that as she read the story of Joseph Smith, she "felt that it is from God". We invited her to be baptized and she said yes!! She didn't commit to a date, but only because she wants to talk to her husband (who is in Korea) first and pray about it. It was such a testimony to me of the power and importance of reading the Book of Mormon. For her, even just those few pages were enough to convince her of its divinity and truth and give her the desire to be baptized. The Book of Mormon is true, and by extension so is everything else in this Church. A couple of our investigators are still praying to know if the Book of Mormon is true. I know that they will receive an answer. The Book of Mormon is true. That is why I am on a mission. I know that everything I tell people is true, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't know that. 

Yesterday was Sister Workman's birthday and two different people sent her cake mixes, so we will have plenty of cake for the rest of the transfer. We are going to go to a place called Dame's Chicken and Waffles this afternoon to celebrate. We have been wanting to go for a while, we just never have the car when we think about doing it. It is supposed to be amazing, so I will give you a report next week :)

Scripture of the week: Mosiah 1:7 " And now, my sons, would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I would that ye should keep the commandments of God,that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which thLord made unto our fathers" 
Obedience really does bring blessings. Obedience is the only way we can receive the blessings Heavenly father has promised us. The commandments are not restrictions or punishments. We cannot obey something we don't know, that is why we have the scriptures. 

Love y'all, 
Sister Pyper

No comments: