Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Answers to prayers and calls to repentance

I am so grateful to have my companion back! She is a sister training leader, so she goes on exchanges with each of the sisters that she is over. Which means that I get to go on exchanges too!! I love getting to learn from other sisters and getting to know them. We went on exchanges two days in a row, and then Sister Warner had a leadership meeting on Friday. I was only with her 4 out of 7 days last week and it is so good to be back together! I love the other sisters, there is just something different about being with your actual companion. The sisters I was with for exchanges are wonderful though. One of them is in her first transfer and she is already a great missionary! She told me that she looks up to me and hopes to be like me when she is done training. Hello call to repentance! It was so humbling to think of all the ways I can improve and knowing that I am setting an example for other missionaries. The second sister is an Hermana and she has only been active for a little over a year. Hearing her teach in Spanish was incredibly powerful. I couldn't understand most of what she was saying, but the Spirit was undeniable. We tracted into a couple Spanish speakers that she was able to teach, and one of them was so touched by the Spirit that Hermana Hathaway brought that she was tearing up. The Gospel is truly universal and applies to all people, regardless of language or culture. 

I love teaching the gospel and being able to see the blessings that people receive from living it! We taught our investigator Toshy about the Word of Wisdom last week. Apparently, she has already been living it! I think she is the first person I have ever met who is living it that isn't a member. She has incredible faith and humility. Her reason for not drinking/smoking before was that it was bad for her body. After we taught her, she told us that now her reason is to obey God's commandments. Earnest is also making amazing progress is living the Word of Wisdom and he is seeing so many blessings from it! I am so grateful for the guidance of a Father in Heaven who knows more than we do. I know that all of His commandments are for our benefit, even when we do not see the purpose. 

The general women's broadcast was amazing! I am so grateful for leaders who are called by God and given His counsel in what to speak on. I had a question that I was seeking an answer to and the very first speaker said exactly what I needed to hear. I know that the leaders of this Church are called by God and that Thomas S. Monson is His prophet on the Earth today. I am so grateful for the opportunity that we have to hear his counsel this coming weekend. I know that you can take any question to Conference and receive your answer. 

I have been studying Christlike attributes for the past couple weeks. Thinking about my Savior and how He lived His life has given me a long list of ways to improve. I am so grateful for His Atonement that allows me to repent every day and become a little better. I have been reading a talk about being a consecrated missionary as well. The main point of the talk is that being consecrated is more than simply following the rules, it is changing your attitude. I realized that the purpose of obedience is more than simply to change our behavior. The purpose of obedience is to change our hearts. We do not receive all the blessings we can if we simply obey because we are told to. When we have a sincere desire to follow God and His commandments, our hearts are changed. That is the power of the Gospel. 

Love y'all
Sister Pyper

No comments: