Monday, August 22, 2016

"Love oozes outta y'all like filling from a cake"

Oh my goodness, what a 180 from last week! This week was awesome! 

The title of this week's email came from Lynda. She has been really sick the past week or so and we were finally able to see her on Tuesday. She is feeling so much better and is as excited as ever to get baptized. She knew she wasn't going to be able to get baptized on the 20th, so we had to reschedule. We asked if she would like to be baptized the same day as her son and she just lit up! She said she had been thinking about that and was going to ask us if that was possible. OH! She also got a job this past week!! She has been looking for something for a while and miracles happened this week in her life! She is grateful to have the gospel in her life. Every time we teach her, she just gushed about how much she loves us and how much the church means to her. 

Another highlight of this past week was Nancy's baptism and confirmation. Nancy was taught by the elders, but she likes us too :) She asked us to give the talk on the Holy Ghost at her baptism. Apparently she asked if we could do it together because "she likes both of us and didn't want to pick just one" (awwwwww <3).  Normally we can't go to a baptism unless we have an investigator attending or it is someone we taught getting baptized. Although if you are asked to speak, you have to go :) So we got to go and I am so happy that we did! The Spirit was so strong as she walked into the font and was baptized. For me though, the most beautiful part was the next day when she was confirmed. After her confirmation, she walked past us to go back to her seat. Her face physically looked lighter, like a burden she had been carrying was lifted. It was so sweet to be able to see that change in her and to know that her journey has only just begun. 
  
Something that was said in the other talk at Nancy's baptism has been stuck in my head. The woman who talked about baptism said something about 'the value of a soul'. I don't remember the context because that was what stood out to me. I have been thinking about that and just how valuable each of us truly are. We are worth more than we know. Our souls have tremendous value. Our souls were purchased with the blood of the Son of God. The life of the only perfect person was given for us. Christ Himself willingly gave His life for you. He took upon Himself every pain, every heartache, every hurt. He faced the agony of rejection and sin. For each of us. The true value of a soul is not found in anything visible. Our value is found in the sacrifice of the Savior. There is a song that I have come to love on my mission. It's called Matter by For King & Country. Part of the chorus says "To the One who spoke and set the sun ablaze. To the One who stopped the storm and walked the waves. To the One who took the tree so He could save. You matter" I know that that is true. We are valued so much that the lifeblood of the Son of God was willingly given. 

Something I learned this past week is  one of the purposes of the Book of Mormon. I have been noticing recently how often the word 'remember' is mentioned, especially in connection with the covenants and blessings the Lord has given us. I realized that one of the purposes of the Book of Mormon is to bring to our remembrance the covenants and commandments. The fullness of the gospel, including some commandments and the covenants of the temple, were lost during the Apostasy. The Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the gospel and reminds us of the promises the Lord has made to His children anciently. 

I can't think of much else right now. This is the last week of the transfer. so next week I should have transfer news. Sister Bobbitt is expecting to leave, but who knows? I hope I stay, I love it here, but I know that if I leave I will go where I am needed. 

Love y'all
Sister Pyper

Nancy's baptism

Missionary work is exhausting
Not only is she fully dressed, she fell asleep in about 30 seconds. :)


No comments: