Monday, December 12, 2016

Week 9 of training. My baby is almost all grown up :')

Well, I'm not entirely sure what to say about this week. It feels like I was just here, trying to figure out what to say and now another week has gone by. Craziness. Each day feels like it takes forever but the weeks just fly by. I can't believe it is already halfway through Sister Ruske's second transfer, it feels like she just go here. Her birthday was this past week and she is no longer a teenager! 

Well, one highlight is that WE GOT TO GO TO THE TEMPLE!!! I was so excited! We only get to go twice a year, usually around Conference, so I expected it to be my first transfer here. Then when it didn't happen I expected it to happen last transfer. Nope! Finally in December we were able to go. I haven't been since March, so it has been 9 months and I was so tired of waiting. I love the temple so much and it was fun to go in the same zone I was in last time (even though none of the other missionaries were here last time I was here). 

Another fun thing is that our mission president's wife came out with us on Thursday. The Assistant's called us Wednesday night and asked us what our plans were for Thursday evening. "Ummmm, tracting, why?" 
"Well, Sister James wants to come on exchanges with you, is that okay?"
"........Yeah, sure."
I knew the James' went out with missionaries, but this is the first time it has ever happened to me. It was so much fun to take her tracting with us though! Since it is December, Sister Ruske and I have been using caroling as a way to get people to listen. (Sister Ruske took a little convincing, but she came around and is excited about it now. My trainer and I went caroling and I noticed that people were generally happy to see us when we sang to them, so I wanted to do it again this Christmas.) (Also, weird side note: I will spend both of my Christmases in Durham and in 12 week. Funny how things work out like that). Anyway, Sister James told us that she has always been able to get in when she goes out with the sisters and tonight was no exception. We found this super sweet lady who is currently looking for a church! I love when people tell us they are looking for a church. I have learned to ask them what it is that they look for in a church, because 99% of the time what they are looking for is found in our church. 

Little miracle story. We had planned to go see this less-active sister and brought our ward mission leader with us. He was running late so we were going to go caroling to her neighbors. After we prayed in our car, we saw this giant van turn the corner where we were. It passed us, but both of us thought "hmmmm, I wonder if that is the Relief Society president?" Yep, it was! She had been planning to come stop by this woman and hadn't been able to do it until that night. She was so grateful that we were there and that we were all able to visit and uplift this woman. The RS president needed to get in touch with her by the next day at the latest so it all worked out. I love seeing how involved Heavenly Father is in all the little details of our lives!

OH, super cute story! We were sitting at Starbucks, having a lesson with Christina, when these two little kids come up to us. They both had their hands full of candy canes and were giving them to the people sitting in Starbucks. Their mom was following them and I'm pretty sure she was taking a video :) It was just so cute to see these kids who couldn't have been more than 7 doing something to brighten people's day <3 

I think my favorite thing about the #LIGHTtheWORLD initiative is that the suggested acts of service are often small and simple. Sometimes I feel like I don't have time (or energy) to do big acts of service, but I can do these. You don't have to do something huge or highly noticeable in order to bless lives. Like those little kids above, they didn't do anything huge or expensive but it definitely brought joy to my day. Sometimes service is as simple as a smile. Sometimes you do do large acts of service and that is also awesome! But don't forget that your service doesn't always have to be noticed by others to matter. Heavenly Father notices everything you do, especially the many little good things that often go unseen. 

Love y'all
Sister Pyper

Highlight of the week
WE GOT TO GO TO THE TEMPLE!!!! I was soooo excited! Sister Ruske said it felt like Christmas, and I completely agree! I haven't been since March so it was so wonderful to be able to go again. 

We match :)
​A member of our ward gave us matching scarves for Christmas :)

Christina :)

​I love her so much <3

No comments: