Wednesday, May 11, 2016

"I know the scriptures are true" no matter what language they are printed in

Because Durham and Chapel Hill have a bunch of international students/refugees/immigrants, we had to order supplies in a lot of languages. It is fun to see all the languages sitting on our bookshelf. It hit me that these inspired translations allow even more people to read and understand the message of the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon really is the foundation of everything that we believe and our strongest witness of Christ. Knowing that people are able to read it in the language of their heart makes me so happy! Eric, our French investigator, doesn't really speak English so he wouldn't be able to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon if it wasn't in French. He has been able to read it and come to understand its importance as he reads it in a language he speaks. I am so grateful for all the people who sacrifice their time to translate the scriptures so that they are more widely available. 

The scriptures provide so much comfort and direction. This past week was a bit strange. We found out on Thursday that the elders in the ward are no longer in the ward. One of them went home for medical reasons and the other one got transferred into a trio in another zone. It came as a complete surprise to us and we didn't know who was going to be taking over their investigators. Sister Skalla and I had a bit of a hard time focusing on our planning because we had no idea what to plan for. We spent a lot of time praying for guidance and searching the scriptures for direction as well. It all worked out just fine, one of the sets of elders in our district is covering our ward now too. 

I was reminded that I never sent the promised pictures from my adventures on Duke Campus, so that will be the rest of my email this week. 

Love y'all
Sister Pyper

True in every language

Durham is 'Bull City'. Still have no idea why though. Bonus points to anyone who can get me an answer. 

Yep. First book printed in English in the US. Right in front of me. Oh, there are only 11 copies left in the world. 

This was carved out of a single piece of ivory. And I struggle to draw stick figures....

​At UNC there is this memorial for students of the university who died in war. Each war has a 'page' you can pull out to see a list of names.


No comments: