Monday, February 27, 2017

100 doors knocked, infinite blessings

Well, this past week was an adventure. Lots of hard work but very little success. Good thing my companion is a walking ray of sunshine :) Nah, it was a good week, just really long and filled with knocking. And knocking. And more knocking. At least we know that the people we do find are solid! Sometimes we have have to go through a lot of uninterested people to find those that are interested. Don't worry there are still plenty of tender mercies and tiny miracles to fill an email :)

Monday
The library was still open even though it was President's Day. 
Also, it was still light at 6!! Daylight Savings is right around the corner and I am so excited!!! People are more okay with us knocking after 6 when it isn't dark. 13 more days until Daylight Savings!!

Tuesday
We were tracting and met this awesome lady! She lives out of our area (out of our zone in fact) but she was visiting her friend. Her friend has met missionaries before and so has the other lady. They weren't too interested at first, but they invited us in to look at the kitchen they're remodeling. We were able to talk to them for about 20 minutes and it was so cool to see them soften as we talked. They told us that they had just been talking about how God puts people in their lives at the right time 10 minutes before we knocked and they felt like we were supposed to meet them at that time. 

Wednesday
Exchanges with Sister Xiong. This was the only day we found any new investigators, so that is the biggest miracle for today. Also the ward members are awesome! 
Not so much a tender mercy, but definitely hilarious! At the end of district meeting, we were singing the closing song. No one could play it, so we just sang a capella. Except I started singing the chorus instead of the verse...... I was laughing so hard I couldn't sing the rest of the song. 😝

Thursday
Amazing lesson with Barbara, she is still reading the Book of Mormon and loves it!
I found out that a letter I had sent someone came at the perfect time and was an answer to their prayers. 
We were able to see one of our recent converts, Tom, who is really struggling right now. Any prayers his way would be much appreciated. 

Friday:
I got to see all my MTC sisters at MLC (mission leadership council)! 

Saturday:
Our investigator Will told us he had read 'just a little' of the Book of Mormon......all the way through 1 Nephi 16.......in a little over a week. What. He is so cool! The past sisters had met him a couple times, but he was always super busy. Sister Wall and I stopped by a couple weeks ago and this is his slow time at work! Now to start teaching the rest of his family. 
Eva's boyfriend. (Little bit of a long story, get comfy.) So Eva is someone we tracted into about a month or so ago. She had all these great questions about what her purpose is here in life and who God is. The second time we met with her, she told us she wasn't really interested in religion or meeting with us again. It broke my heart a little because I could just feel how much Heavenly Father loves her and how much she needs the gospel right now. I knew that we had the answers for her questions and that what we had to offer would help her so much. But she was adamant that she wasn't interested so we couldn't do anything except giver her our card and ask her to call us if she ever needed anything. So then Saturday night, at least 2-3 weeks since we have seen Eva, we are in the same apartment complex trying to figure out which building we haven't knocked yet. All of a sudden, we hear this man from across the parking lot yelling to us. At first we just ignored him, thinking he was yelling at someone else or just being creepy. Then we hear him say something about Jehovah's Witness girls and realized he was actually talking to us (the number of times we get mistaken for/told we are Jehovah's Witnesses.......NOPE. We are the other people that knock on your door to talk about Jesus😉). He asked if we were JWs and we said no. His next question was "are ya'll church people?" A little worried we were about to get kicked off the property (which he legally couldn't do anyway. We aren't soliciting and there wasn't a no trespassing sign, so we were totally legal), we say that yes, we are. He then introduces himself as Eva's boyfriend and tells us that he wants us to keep visiting her! Turns out he has been trying to help her find Christ in her life for years and was so grateful that we had even talked to her twice. It was so neat to see how we were put in the right place at the right time! Hopefully Eva will be more receptive the next time we stop by :)

Sunday:
A member randomly gave us a bag of food. She had brought it for the Scout food drive, but the bin was gone so she gave it to us instead :)
One of our recent converts got a calling!
Two of our recent converts came to church! And Chad came! We haven't seen Chad in a couple weeks so it was awesome to see him at church!!
Another set of sisters gave me an extra bag, which I needed because mine had ripped :(


In MLC on Friday we talked about how to help new/struggling missionaries see the joy of missionary work. We talked about how there are lots of demands on us as missionaries, but that the blessing we receive because of those very demands far outweigh the sacrifice. I thought of this scripture and how perfectly it describes how I feel. 
Matthew 19:29 "And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, owife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." 
I have received so many more blessings on my mission than I ever expected. I can honestly say, without a second thought, that my mission has been worth everything I left behind to come out here. I have been given so much more than I gave up and I am eternally grateful for this privilege I have to serve as a missionary. I have met so many incredible people, I have learned things I couldn't learn any other way, I have grown so much closer to my Savior and my Heavenly Father, I have been tested and stretched and tried and stressed like nothing else, and I wouldn't change a single day of it. 

Love y'all
Sister Pyper

Reunited at last <3
All the sisters I was in the MTC with are all Sister Training Leaders, so we get to see each other at MLC every month! It was so fun to walk in and see all of them <3

Barbara from Brazil
​We have been teaching Barbara for a few weeks and she is awesome! 

Sister Xiong
Apparently Xiong means 'bear' in Chinese, so we had to take pictures with Sister Wall's bear on exchanges :)

Sister Xiong did my hair!


I love NC signs <3
Good thing we have a Tiwi that yells at us when we speed then, huh? :)
(A Tiwi is a box that all the cars have. It monitors driving (speed, where you are, how sharply you turn etc) and it makes people drive more safely. It keeps the insurance lower for the Church.)

No comments: