Monday, February 13, 2017

Happy Valentine's Day! I love you!!

First of all, Sister Wall and I are staying together for another transfer!! We're so excited because this area is really progressing and we love being companions <3 Most of the people in this zone are staying, I think there's only going to be 3 missionaries that are different. 

Now that that's out of the way, here's the part that y'all actually care about. 

Monday: The best thing that happened today was getting a call from a former investigator named Jody. The previous sisters had tracted into him and had taught him once. My first day here we had another lesson with him. He told us he wasn't really interested, that he was mostly atheist and had no interest in religion. He offered to give us back the Book of Mormon, but we told him he could keep it if he was actually going to read it. He said he would, if only for the historical information. So then today, about 5 weeks later, he calls us. He told us that he had been reading a couple chapters of the Book of Mormon. "It has enlightened me on some things and I have some questions. Could you come back and talk to me some more?" ........UMMMMM, YES! We set up an appointment for the next day. Truly this is a work full of miracles. Heavenly Father is constantly preparing people and all we have to do is be in the right place at the right time. 
Funny story from today: our investigator Chad works at a pizza place. We decided to go grab lunch there on our way up to a zone activity and were able to talk to him a little. Then that evening we were having absolutely no success tracting (NO ONE wanted to talk to us "it's too late" "you woke up my baby" " we don't accept solicitors" etc) so we decided to go store contacting for a few minutes. A couple minutes in, we run into Chad. We were both a little confused but it was still funny :)

Tuesday: Oh my goodness this might have been the best day of the whole week, even if the numbers didn't show it. 
First, Jody. HE IS SO PREPARED!!!! In just 5 weeks his heart has been softened and he is totally searching for the gospel. He told us that recently he has been feeling this small impressions to make changes to be a better person. Including quitting drinking, opening the Book of Mormon, praying (when 5 weeks ago he wasn't even sure if he believed in God) and he has even stopped drinking Coke just because he felt like he should. We had an amazing lesson with him that was completely led by the Spirit. He had a lot of incredible questions about what happens after we die, about how we personally recognize answers to our prayers, about how the gospel has blessed us, etc. Sister Wall and I both shared stories that we don't usually share with investigators, but we both felt very prompted to share them. I know that sharing those stories really helped him feel our testimonies and helped him trust us enough to open his heart and share spiritual experiences with us. OH! He also told us that he had been praying to know what our role was as missionaries. He told us he "felt like we were daughters of God and that we were angelic figures". HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?! That really strengthened my testimony of my calling and made me even more grateful for the opportunity I have to serve the Lord in this way. Jody didn't want to set a baptismal date because "he believes in doing what he says he'll do" and doesn't want to set a date and then not make it. We're pretty sure he'll get baptized this transfer. 
Second, Chad. Yes, every lesson we have with Chad is great, and this was no exception. We went over the 10 Commandments and the law of chastity. What can be one of the more awkward lessons was totally fine and not an issue at all! He is so sincere and wants to be baptized. He was talking about 'when' he gets baptized, not 'if' he gets baptized. He was talking about not feeling like he knows enough or that he will be ready, so we showed him a teaching record. (Miracle in itself that I had one. I had had one in my other bag, but hadn't switched it over yet. I got something else out of my old bag and had the thought that I might as well just grab all the other papers, just in case. Then it ended up being perfect for Chad's lesson!) We explained that it was the record of what we have to teach people before they can get baptized and showed him that we have taught most of it.We were able to tell him that he has made incredible progress and that he will be ready to be baptized, and not very long from now. He actually wanted to keep it so that he could keep a record for himself as a way to keep track and motivate himself! Yep, he's also going to get baptized this transfer. 
Third, we went tracting in the evening and Sister Wall prayed that we would find a family. We knocked into this man and started teaching. Less than a minute later, a woman walks up the stairs and joins us! Tiny miracles are the best!

Wednesday: Exchanges with Sister Gordon. I got to bike (in perfect biking weather) and find a super awesome new investigator in their area. 
Also, we totally got hit on by a 16 year old boy. This isn't the first time Sister Gordon has been flirted with on exchanges. She's just too cute for the boys to handle :)

Thursday: Nothing too outstanding happened today but it was still a good day. Although this is the day we found a new investigator who dropped us an hour later. That was probably one of the most ridiculous things that has ever happened on my mission. 

Friday: We had dinner with Jimmy and his family. He's still hesitant to st a baptismal date, but his heart is softening. 
OH! Jody told us he has had more questions come up and asked if he could come to church on Sunday to ask them! He is just the best!!!

Saturday: Zac got baptized!! 
And I got to see Sister Bobbitt. 
And the Durham 1 sisters came down for the baptism because one of them had started teaching Zac. They told me that Bernard, that cute 9 year old I was teaching, got baptized last Thursday!! And the husband of a less-active member I found had gotten baptized that morning! It was so sweet to be able to see some of the fruits of my work there. Now to get Earnest baptized :)
And we set a baptismal date with Tanisha and her two kids for April 22
And we found a new investigator through a member. 
All in all, a fantastic day! 

Sunday: Jody came to church!! And he told us "it was a beautiful experience for me" <3

I have so much more to say, but I have so little time! 

Love y'all
Sister Pyper

OH! HOW COULD I FORGET??? Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. No matter what your love life is like, whether your married, dating, completely single, or anywhere in between, know that you are loved beyond imagining. John 3:16 is pretty much everyone's favorite scripture here, but what better day to remember it than today? Heavenly Father loves you so much that He sent His Son, your older Brother, to suffer for you and give you an opportunity to return to live with Heavenly Father. No matter what anyone else says, no matter how alone you feel, you are loved. God is NOT distant, He is not unaware of you. I have never felt Heavenly Father's love more than I have out here. Because I am here to help my brothers and sisters return to live with our Father in Heaven, I am much more aware of His love for every single person I meet. If you ever feel unloved, all you have to do is pray to your Father in Heaven and ask Him how He feels about you. 

A message for y'all
​I LOVE YOU!

Jimmy and family
Jimmy (the dad) is the only one in his family that isn't a member. We're hoping to change that soon :)

Zac


#awkward
​(NI=new investigator)

Sister Gordon
​Sister Gordon told me we would be biking and was surprised when I was excited :) We had an awesome day on exchanges. She's staying in her area so we get to go on more exchanges!!

Chad
Hopefully in the next picture I send he'll be in white :)

Wendy's knows what's up :)


New favorite street!

No comments: