Monday, September 26, 2016

Gas shortages, rainstorms and revelation

So, in case y'all didn't hear about it, there was a gas shortage this past week. I'm still not quite sure if it only affected NC or more of the South. Oh the joys of having no access to information about the world :) Anyway, NC was affected and everyone was panicking for a couple days. The first we heard about there even being a shortage was Sunday evening when we asked a member to come out with us. She couldn't come because she wasn't sure how the gas shortage would influence her plans. The next day the mission sent out a text telling us to keep our tanks halfway full (or more if possible). If we couldn't find gas, we were told to leave our cars parked and walk/bike/teleport to our lessons. Aside from being majorly confused at what was happening in the world, Sister Burkholder and I were totally fine. A little extra biking never hurt anyone :) By Wednesday, most gas stations had gas again, just less than normal. We have been switching the car every other day with the elders this week (long story) so we were going to be biking anyway. Side note, biking home from district meeting (which is about 2.5 miles) in the rain is SO MUCH FUN! Some of you may have read that sarcastically, but I am being serious. It was the best! We got completely soaked and had a blast. I love biking in the rain!!

The one downside to the gas shortage was that members were less willing/able to go out with us (which we totally understood). So number-wise this week was one of our slowest. But the lessons that we did have were really good! We saw Jarek about 3 times this week and he is making amazing progress! In a week, he has cut his smoking in half or more and is still so excited to get baptized. It is wonderful to see how much he loves the gospel and the light it brings into his life. He has had some bad experiences with religion in the past but tells us every week how much he liked church. He feels so welcome and always feels the Spirit. I love seeing the Atonement work in his life. Sometimes a change is immediately noticeable and other times it is more subtle. Jarek falls into the second category. Over the time we have been here, we have seen him grow his faith and come closer to the Savior. It has not happened overnight and it is a continual process, but he is repenting nonetheless. 

Oh my goodness the Women's Broadcast on Saturday was amazing! I have made it a point the past few sessions of Conference to go with a question. Every time I have done that it hasalways been answered in some way. This time was no exception. I have been studying charity recently and was wondering how I can have more charity. The very first talk was all about charity and I heard lots of things I needed. I love seeing how the Lord inspires the leaders of His church to teach us the things we need to hear. I know that the Spirit teaches us individually and tells us what we specifically need to hear. One of my favorite quotes from the broadcast was from the talk where the story of the girl with bipolar disorder was shared ( I can't remember who gave that talk and I don't have my notes with me. Either way it was a fantastic talk). The girl, in the middle of what was likely one of her darkest moments, told her mother that "you don't need to (do anything to take away her pain), someone already has". I love that! It was such a powerful reminder to me that Christ has already suffered everything for us. Every pain we feel, every loss we suffer, every tear we cry, every ache of loneliness or rejection, every single thing that we experience has been felt by the One who knows you better than you know yourself. He suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane so that you don't have to. Any and all burdens you have can be carried by the Savior. You do not have to carry them alone. 

Love y'all
Sister Pyper

Halloween came early this year :)

I discovered completely by accident that I can be a Minion for Halloween :) Now to go find my long-lost family with their overalls and weird voices

Early Halloween pt. 2

​Before the Women's Broadcast on Saturday, we had an eat and greet. The Relief Society President brought these for us. 

Somehow, when we had dinner with a member, all the food ended up at my end of the table. It just happened. I thought it was hilarious to look at the table and realize that all the food was by me. 

Yes, sister missionaries ride bikes too!
It is hard to tell, but this is near the end of our ride in the rain. At this point we are completely soaked but having a blast!
Here we go. This is a good representation of how soaked we were. 

No comments: